From: "Harald van Dijk" <truedfx@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Locale check in python_pkg_setup()
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 16:04:54
1 On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 01:16:18AM +0200, Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis wrote:
2 > We received too many invalid bugs caused by unsupported locales. python_pkg_setup() needs to check
3 > locale and print error (using eerror(), without die()), when unsupported locale has been detected.
4
5 I'm strongly with Brian on this. You receive too many valid bug reports
6 caused by a broken package. python_pkg_setup needs to do nothing. You
7 need to fix the bugs, or if fixing them is too much of an issue, work
8 around them in the ebuild. Keep in mind that having no locale explicitly
9 selected is the default for a Gentoo installation, and that the docs do
10 not (and should not) say anywhere that non-UTF-8 locales are unsupported.
11 In fact, quoting from
12 <http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/guide-localization.xml>:
13
14 "It's also possible, and pretty common especially in a more traditional
15 UNIX environment, to leave the global settings unchanged, i.e. in the
16 "C" locale. Users can still specify their preferred locale in their own
17 shell RC file:"