From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: nirbheek@g.o, rich0@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: proj/portage:master commit in: pym/portage/dbapi/
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2011 16:10:21
1 On Sat, 26 Nov 2011 21:28:51 +0530
2 Nirbheek Chauhan <nirbheek@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 8:39 PM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o>
5 > wrote:
6 > > But in this particular case, I don't think COW is particularly
7 > > useful. If it works only on filesystem bounds, we could move the
8 > > file directly anyway.
11 > There are still a few specific cases in which CoW would indeed be
12 > useful. IIRC, reflinking of files works across btrfs *subvolumes*, and
13 > such a copy would normally be detected as a cross-device move.
14
15 For such a thing, shouldn't rename() work neat anyway?
16
17 > Another use would be an patch-merge which makes use of *ranged
18 > reflinks* to only CoW copy those parts of the file that were
19 > changed[1]. rsync has support for this, but only while appending to
20 > files (--append-verify --no-whole-file).
21
22 So, it'd be like:
23 1) CoW-dup old file,
24 2) patch-merge into the duped old file,
25 3) replace.
26
27 Am I understanding correctly?
30 Best regards,