From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: .la files removal news item (GLEP 42)
Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2010 12:00:28
1 Duncan wrote:
2 > Diego Elio Pettenò posted on Sat, 02 Oct 2010 03:06:56 +0200 as excerpted:
5 >> Il giorno sab, 02/10/2010 alle 00.42 +0530, Nirbheek Chauhan ha scritto:
6 >>
7 >>> Right, so a few weeks later when they re-merge a binpkg, they suddenly
8 >>> get build failures again. And that confuses them since it's unexpected.
9 >>> This is in general a bad experience for stable users who want to get
10 >>> work done, not baby-sit their system.
11 >>>
12 >> Seriously, how many times do you re-install packages out of binpkgs on a
13 >> _build_ system?
14 >>
15 > Frequently enough for it to be a consideration. Among other things, it's
16 > a fast way to roll-back to a working version when a new version goes
17 > haywire, for whatever reason.
18 >
19 > I strongly recommend that users enable FEATURES=buildpkg for a host of
20 > reasons, and having it break or cause additional complications for them is
21 > not a good thing. Of course I also strongly recommend lafilefixer (based
22 > on your blog, BTW), too, but yeah, people /do/ sometimes reinstall from
23 > binpkgs on a build system. Having binpkgs around for my build system has
24 > saved my behind a number of times!
28 Same here. That has saved me a lot of time and frustration in the past
29 as well. I have had buildpkg set in make.conf for ages. I use it
30 regularly and would not want to have that messed up. I recently used it
31 when a KDE upgrade went bust. Without being able to go back to the old
32 binaries, I would have had almost a day of compiling and no GUI at all.
33 With it, just a hour or so for it to unpack and put it back.
34
35 Some people may not have it set or use it but there are people that do.
36
37 Dale
38