From: Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ifc USE flag, fortran support and some general notes about multi-compiler support
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 20:27:05
1 On Wed, 2004-08-25 at 15:06, Anton Starikov wrote:
2
3 <snip>
4
5 > So, has it sense to think about implementing some abstract
6 > multi-compiler support? at least for Fortran guys.
7 > But generally, probably, it could be just let say "minor compiler
8 > support", which means, for C and F you still have gcc and g77 (gfortran
9 > in future) as a main compiler of the system, but you can also choose
10 > some kind of minor compiler. Now it almost work in such way with ICC.
11 > ICC behaves just as some kind of minor compiler and some software that
12 > can be compiled with ICC will be compiled with icc.
13
14 This should be added to gcc-config, so it can support independent
15 language compilers.
16
17 <snip>
18
19 > So, there is coming in mind some idea of different approach. Transparent
20 > level of multicompiler support. OK, it is not granted.
21 > But...scientific guys use to live in not granted world :)
22 > It probably looks like:
23 > 1) You have two more flags: "altcc" and "altfc"
24 > 2) somewhere (in make.conf for ex) you have specify :
25 > ALTCC=C-compiler-which-I-really-like
26 > ALTCXX=C++-compiler-which-I-really-like
27 > ALTF77=F77-compiler-which-I-really-like
28 > ALTF90=F90-compiler-which-I-really-like
29 > ALTCFLAGS="optimize-it-to-make-a-rocket"
30 > ALTF77LAGS="optimize-it-to-make-a-rocket"
31
32 Yep. Some alternative compilers have their own configuration files for
33 compiler-specific flags, however. They should still draw the generic
34 flags from make.conf, such as CFLAGS, CXXFLAGS or FFLAGS (fortran).
35
36 <snip>
37
38 > Ebuild just check for "altcc" and "altfc" flags in USE, if they are, it
39 > force configure or whatever else to use it. Thats done. Of course you
40 > can't be sure that it will be compiled on all possible alternative
41 > compilers, but you can try :)
42
43 Nah, USE isn't the right place for it. Ebuilds should respect the
44 environment variables selecting compilers, such as CC, CXX, FC and so
45 forth. The USE flags should be for other things, e.g. patches that are
46 required for a specific compiler to work.
47 --
48 Donnie Berkholz
49 Gentoo Linux