From: Tim Harder <radhermit@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Rebooting the Installer Project
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2015 15:24:04
1 On 2015-07-18 15:01, Matthew Marchese wrote:
2 > I'd like to hear it all so please speak your mind. Looking forward to
3 > hearing from you.
4
5 On another semi-related note, I've always thought it would be useful to
6 extend repos.conf support to handle binary repos so one could use layman
7 or equivalent tools to easily add binary repos, prioritize them however
8 you like, and leverage them to get new installs quickly rolling or just
9 for regular usage. That way PORTAGE_BINHOST and related settings could
10 be tossed down the line and binary derivatives should be able to easily
11 leverage such support.
12
13 Of course while talking about unimplemented features this would could be
14 even more interesting alongside a better, spec-ed out binpkg format,
15 perhaps something that supports splitting metadata and actual binary pkg
16 data so the main metadata cache could be sanely synced around via git or
17 similar.
18
19 These have both been dream goals as I've poked at pkgcore over the past
20 year or so (and yes I'm aware paludis implements something similar to
21 these things already).
22
23 Tim