From: Christel Dahlskjaer <christel@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Project Sunrise thread -- a try of clarification
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2006 21:48:51
1 On Fri, 2006-06-09 at 20:32 +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Fri, 09 Jun 2006 20:06:04 +0100 Christel Dahlskjaer
3 > <christel@g.o> wrote:
4 > | I'd say that it's entirely possibly for some non-dev to sneak
5 > | malicious code into the tree as is now, just as it will be possible
6 > | to do in an overlay.
7 > |
8 > | It's not like it's particulary difficult to have someone proxy for
9 > | you, and let's face it, if someone is willing to do so then they
10 > | probably can't be arsed checking that what they are committing is
11 > | clean and nice.. I mean, I trust you, right?
12 >
13 > Huge difference between committing a few things for a person you know,
14 > where you have time to review code, and bulk committing random stuff
15 > where you don't have time to check anything. That's the deal here -- if
16 > a large number of developers can't handle maintainer-wanted, what makes
17 > people think a far smaller number can without screwing up?
18
19 I was actually agreeing with you.
20
21 I also believe to be mistaken as I believed that all overlays on o.g.o
22 would be in the style of say the existing PHP and Haskell overlays, and
23 as such those with access would be trusted contributors, and I also
24 believed that the individual projects would be making sure that they
25 were testing and reviewing whatever patches were made to their stuff.