From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: sys-devel/gcc::mgorny up for testing
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2014 22:16:39
1 Hi,
2
3 On Sun, 07 Dec 2014 22:21:50 +0100 Kristian Fiskerstrand wrote:
5 > Hash: SHA512
6 >
7 > On 12/07/2014 10:05 PM, Tim Harder wrote:
8 > > On 2014-12-07 15:02, Kristian Fiskerstrand wrote:
9 > >>>> The most important consumer is app-text/pdftk Unfortunately,
10 > >>>> there is still no replacement for the latter which works as
11 > >>>> good, especially if you have tricky pdfs to process. Loosing
12 > >>>> gcj would therefore be a real loss.
13 > >>> As long as you're fine with any command-line pdf processing
14 > >>> tool, you could use app-text/cpdf which I've used for a long
15 > >>> time and just added to the tree. Note that it's licensed under
16 > >>> a non-commercial type license though.
17 > >
18 > >> Why would we want to replace a working GPL-2 application for an
19 > >> application under a non-free license? As one of the users of
20 > >> app-text/pdftk I'm not a big supporter of this (although I have
21 > >> not looked into mcpdf as was brought up earlier in this thread,
22 > >> although that as well seems to be under a more restrictive AGPL-3
23 > >> license).
24 > >
25 > > I'm not saying it's a replacement, it's an alternative. Also, some
26 > > of us are less picky about licensing issues as long as the source
27 > > code is available and free for personal use. :)
28 >
29 > By all means, thanks for informing about an alternative, but I
30 > personally believe that it is important for the overall distribution
31 > to keep a wider perspective than personal non-free use (even if this
32 > is a developers primary focus as reason for contribution), otherwise
33 > we'll hit a wall quickly enough.
34 >
35 > In this specific case I at least use pdftk for some batch jobs on
36 > business-related servers and a non-commercial license would not be
37 > viable.
38
39 Seconded here. Now and then I use pdftk for some conversions for my
40 job, so non-commercial licensed alternative is a no go.
41
42 Best regards,
43 Andrew Savchenko