From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] New metastructure proposal
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 19:16:43
1 On Wed, 2007-04-11 at 20:37 +0200, Jan Kundrát wrote:
2 > Chris Gianelloni wrote:
3 > > What "news" exactly? That catalyst still supports a code branch it's
4 > > had for some time now? *grin* There's nothing "new" to report.
5 >
6 > I've been around for two years and have never heard anything about
7 > stage4. If it's been discussed on this list before that time, I
8 > apologize. Please don't take this as an admonition, but rather a hint
9 > about what I'd like to see.
10
11 Well, anything about catalyst is usually kept on the gentoo-catalyst
12 mailing list. I don't bother sending to gentoo-dev every time we add
13 new features or make changes simply because I would suspect most of the
14 people on this list could care less. All of the people on the
15 gentoo-catalyst list, on the other hand, are interested in catalyst
16 development and usage. The original stage4 code was imported into
17 catalyst CVS on 4 April 2005, though it was worked on for some time
18 before then. The concept of the "stage4" tarball was created long
19 before that and several other implementations and ideas have been thrown
20 about on the forums even before it was introduced in catalyst. Stuart's
21 Seeds project was the first official usage of the stage4 target in
22 catalyst. Currently, it is used by the PPC64 team for the PS3 builds.
23 I am unaware of anyone else actually using them in an official manner at
24 this time.
27 Chris Gianelloni
28 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
29 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
30 Games Developer/Council Member/Foundation Trustee
31 Gentoo Foundation