From: John Nilsson <john@×××××××.nu>
To: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
Cc: Gentoo Developers <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] CFLAGS moved to ebuilds.
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2003 16:17:22
1 > Thats the express purpose that genflags was created for, to provide
2 > users with a known good set of high-performance CFLAGS so they didn't
3 > need to mess around with it too much.
4
5 Still there is no room for improvement when dealing with system wide
6 optimization.
7
8 > > Then there is the issue about stability. Users are bound to break
9 > thing if
10 > > they set flags on pure guess and the leave it at that. A huge amout
11 > of support
12 > > queries on the mailing-lists and bugs.gentoo.org boils down to
13 > beeing unstable gcc
14 > > settings. A solution mostyl used to remedy this problem is to use
15 > "strip-flags" in
16 > > ebuilds to remove known unstable flags (or all flags in some
17 > cases).
18 > strip-flags to remove problematic flags on a per ebuild basis is the
19 > best solution. I do agree that unstable gcc settings are a big
20 > problem,
21 > eg in a recent bug it turned out the submitter's system (an older
22 > Pentium I) couldn't handle -O3 without flaking out. Reduce it to -O2
23 > and
24 > the box went fine (both for compiling and already compiled packages).
25
26 This is a bug in GCC. While a workaround may be a quick solution for
27 Gentoo, one shouldn't base the whole system on bugs.
30 > > What we would need here is a sytem that ensures that the default
31 > flags for
32 > > compiling each application is the best you can do while keeping the
33 > sytem
34 > > stable. The system should provide mature recomendations of flags
35 > for
36 > those of
37 > > us willing to risk a little stability for absolute speed. The
38 > system
39 > should
40 > > take advantage of the ordinary software improvment mechanism used
41 > by
42 > OSS
43 > > projects: evolution. Small but measureable improvments that all
44 > users
45 > > benefit from.
46 > again, genflags was created for this. I've considered a sequel to
47 > genflags based on the genetic optimization of compiler flags as
48 > mentioned on Slashdot a while ago, but for lack of time, i'm not even
49 > looking at doing it now.
50
51 You might want to chek:
52 http://www.coyotegulch.com/potential/gccga/gccga.html
53 http://www.rocklinux.net/packages/ccbench.html
54
55 I meant by evolution: the process of users submiting patches to improve
56 individual ebuilds.
59 > Stable and high-performance is an per-system definition, as evidenced
60 > by
61 > the bug I mentioned with -O3.
62
63 And should as such be fixed... in gcc. If gcc cant optimize correct
64 knowing the cache size of the cpu, gcc is broken. Fix gcc.
67 /John