From: Kurt Lieber <klieber@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Fwd: noX kernel not on livecd as the <F2> options state
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2003 12:02:03
1 For those of us more familiar with the liveCDs and installation process, is
2 this message accurate? Do we really no longer have any sort of non-GUI
3 (even framebuffer GUI) way of installing Gentoo? (Note: I don't consider
4 having to pass nofb as a boot flag as a viable option since that isn't
5 exactly intuitive and can lead to messages like the one below)
6
7 --kurt
8
9 ----- Forwarded message from Brian Beck <wedgenix@×××××××××.net> -----
10
11 From: Brian Beck <wedgenix@×××××××××.net>
12 To: www@g.o
13 Subject: noX kernel not on livecd as the <F2> options state
14 Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 05:56:37 -0400
15 X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook IMO, Build 9.0.2416 (9.0.2910.0)
16
17 Dear Sir/Madam,
18
19 <rant>
20 I attempted a gentoo install on an intel smp box sitting in my server
21 cabinet. I just run an old 640x480 VGA service monitor on top of that
22 cabinet and nothing ever needed anything different. The livecd will not
23 show any display after passing the boot: flags, I assume because it defaults
24 to some gui install crap at a resolution higher than 640x480. I tried
25 <ctrl>-<alt>-<-> to cycle resolutions but that still gave me no display. I
26 tried <ctrl>-<alt>-<(F1-F12]> and was unable to get any other consoles. I
27 tried boot: noX but it told me kernel noX not found, even tho the <F2>
28 options said there was a noX kernel. It's a pretty sorry introduction to
29 Gentoo. I suppose my choices now are to take a monitor from a workstation
30 (the very concept of borrowing workstation parts to get a server going that
31 *should* work w/ what it's already got is annoying enough) or try a
32 different distro. I believe I'll opt for a different distro. It seems
33 Gentoo is yet another distro designed for the console-challenged trying to
34 attract windows users. I should have guessed that when your webpage
35 mentioned something like "and of course, the obligitory X". My fault for
36 being optimistic I guess. All I needed on this box was an NFS server to
37 boot a couple diskless Alphasevers (NetBSD), Communigate Pro mail duty for a
38 small domain, and seti crunching...none of which would benefit from X. The
39 only gui boxes I have are doze and osX. Servers dont need it *especially*
40 during install, and I'd rather have my server resources DOING the install
41 than to be showing me an artsy-fartsy interpretation of how the install is
42 going. </rant>
43
44 -Brian Beck
45 IT Consultant