From: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] New QA policy: Packages must not disable installing manpages via USE flags
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2019 17:30:34
1 On 2019.07.17 14:25, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > The QA team would like to introduce the following policy:
5 >
6 > """
7 > Packages must not disable installing manpages via USE flags (e.g.
8 > USE=man or USE=doc). If upstream does not ship prebuilt manpages
9 > and building them requires additional dependencies, the maintainer
10 > should build them and ship along with the package.
11 > """
14 > Explanatory note:
15 >
16 > This applies to having USE flags that specifically control building
17 > manpages. It obviously does not affect:
18 >
19 > a. USE flags that disable building both a program and its manpage
20 > (e.g.
21 > if USE=gui disables building gfrobnicate, not installing
22 > gfrobnicate(1)
23 > is correct),
24 >
25 > b. use of LINGUAS to control installed manpages.
28 > Rationale:
29 >
30 > Manpages are the basic form of user documentation on Gentoo Linux.
31 > Not
32 > installing them is harmful to our users. On the other hand, requiring
33 > additional dependencies is inconvenient. Therefore, packaging
34 > prebuilt
35 > manpages (whenever upstream doesn't do that already) is a good
36 > compromise that provides user with documentation without additional
37 > dependencies.
40 > What are your comments?
41 >
42 > --
43 > Best regards,
44 > Michał Górny
48 Michał,
49
50 This works on systems with plenty of resources.
51 I suspect very few arm users have man/doc/info pages installed.
52 FEATURES="noman nodoc noinfo" is less than ideal as everything
53 is still built, so you pay the build time, but not installed.
54
55 Does anyone read documentation on embedded class hardware?
56 I know I don't.
57
58 Personally, I don't build much on embedded hardware either but I'm
59 aware of users that do.
60
61 I like to have the choice to not build documentation on low power
62 systems. Its a part of Gentoos flexibility that should not be removed.
65 Regards,
66
67 Roy Bamford
68 (Neddyseagoon) a member of