From: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: new USE="win32" flag for mingw and prefix/windows support
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2016 19:42:05
1 On 4/20/16 3:30 PM, Ian Stakenvicius wrote:
2 > On 20/04/16 03:01 PM, Anthony G. Basile wrote:
3 >
4 >> The way I think of it is
5 >
6 >> the operating system (ie kernel) = kernel_Winnt the system
7 >> libraries (=~libc) = elibc_Winnt the executable binary format
8 >> = win32
9 >
10 >> I don't know that we need an executable binary format flag, but
11 >> we might because they're working on windows 10 so it can natively
12 >> run ELF.
16 > According to 'file' the binary format is actually "PE32 executable
17 > (console) Intel 80386, for MS Windows" for a random *.exe file in my
18 > /usr/i686-w64-mingw32/usr/bin
19 >
20 > I assume PE32 would be the label one would use if comparing to ELF ?
23 yes and while it is reported by `file` as PE32, it is sometimes referred
24 to as just win32. its proper name, if i recall correctly is "Win32
25 Portable Executable File Format". it is the equivalent of ELF, COFF and
26 a.out in the Linux world and Mach-O in the Mac world. basically its the
27 format the linker/loader is looking for.
28
29 if i've understood the plans for windows 10, its kernel will be able to
30 link/load native ELF and execute Linux system calls, at least for amd64
31 arch/abi. I saw a demonstration with ubuntu userland, but i'm sure it
32 will be able to handle gentoo. with gentoo portage in there, i think
33 we'll expand in to a whole new market.
34
35 not meaning to steal your thread, but i think keeping the namespace
36 precise here will help us avoid collisions in the future.
40 Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
41 Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
42 E-Mail : blueness@g.o
43 GnuPG FP : 1FED FAD9 D82C 52A5 3BAB DC79 9384 FA6E F52D 4BBA
44 GnuPG ID : F52D4BBA