From: Ferris McCormick <fmccor@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: sparc@g.o, Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Modular X plans
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 12:49:14
1 On Tue, 2005-08-09 at 19:40 -0700, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA1
6 > Good catch. I was going to get to the rest of the GL headers after
7 > getting Mesa working.
8
9 Another comment about Mesa. Mesa, as distributed, has "built in"
10 architectures it can build for, and it substitutes its own idea of
11 appropriate CFLAGS rather than using the user's request. For sparc, at
12 least, these are not appropriate, as can be seen from current
13 xorg-x11-6.8.99.15, say, for which libGL does get built using
14 make.conf's CFLAGS.
15
16 If fact, I think this is a regression. I know that at one point, at
17 least, I had opened a bug on this, and it was resolved. I can't find
18 any record of it, though, at bugs.freedesktop.org (my original was filed
19 long ago at sourceforge).
20
21 The point is that libGL performance is important for those who use it,
22 and on sparc, we meed to keep whatever the user asked for with -mcpu=xxx
23 (-mv8 is just wrong on ultrasparc unless you can't build with it for
24 some reason, but libGL can build with it). Further, and problems with
25 using sparc assembly on linux were corrected long ago, so sparc really
26 should -DUSE_SPARC_ASM. I am sure the USE_SPARC_ASM bit is also a
27 regression, because I remember when Mesa was corrected to figure out
28 correctly whether or not ultrasparc was building for 32-bit user mode or
29 for 64-bit user mode. (Mesa-6.3.1.1 uses "#ifdef __arch64__" as the
30 test, and it turns out that gcc does not define this just for
31 -mcpu=ultrasparc[3], so assembly code should be fine.)
32
33 For reference, current xorg-x11 (on ultrasparc3) builds libGL with,
34 among lots of other CFLAGS, "-O2 -mcpu=ultrasparc3 -DUSE_SPARC_ASM ..."
35 the first two of which are taken from my CFLAGS.
36
37 Of course, all of this might be irrelevant, but I'd rather raise the
38 concern and be beat up on now than come back later and say "Oh, by the
39 way, libGL build is all messed up on sparc." :-)
40
41 (Point is that xorg-x11 nowadays gets libGL & friends right for
42 linux-sparc, but Mesa by itself does not, and has regressed from earlier
43 versions. So X Modular should configure Mesa as it does now --- for
44 xorg --- not as Mesa has built-in, which looks wrong.)
45
46 Regards,
47 Ferris
48 --
49 Ferris McCormick (P44646, MI) <fmccor@g.o>
50 Developer, Gentoo Linux (Sparc, Devrel)