From: "Miroslav Šulc" <fordfrog@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: New "Accept Github contributions" metadata flag
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2020 17:52:26
1 Dne 18. 08. 20 v 19:06 Joonas Niilola napsal(a):
2 > On 8/18/20 7:30 PM, Miroslav Šulc wrote:
3 >> hi,
4 >>
5 >> how would be handled cases where you and me agreed that you will take
6 >> care of pull requests on behalf of sound@ and proaudio@? and what if a
7 >> package is maintained by multiple maintainers or even some maintainers
8 >> and a project, each with a different preference? how that would be
9 >> solved to not bring in some confusion? and how about maintainers that
10 >> are not gentoo devs? and what if there are packages that have a
11 >> maintainer that is mia but has the no-accept policy set and some other
12 >> dev would like to fix a package that has an annoying bug (using a pull
13 >> request by a contributor) as the reported maintainer is mia, or a
14 >> contributor might want to maintain the package? and what if a
15 >> maintainer wants pull requests just for some packages and not for
16 >> others? and what if a pull request is referenced from a bug at
17 >> bugzilla but the maintainer does not accept pull requests?
18 > One idea for implementation would be to enable the flag in your User:
19 > page. Then if any member in a project has it enabled, the project would
20 > have it set positive as well. However it doesn't necessary directly
21 > translate to you you merging personal PRs -> you merging all of your
22 > project PRs. I also thought the project could count Yes's and No's from
23 > their members, printing something like "This project has a 66 %
24 > probability of handling Github PRs". But that'd look silly.
25 is there a way or would it be possible to get notified on pull requests
26 that are relevant to me? though i get notifications from github, i get
27 tens to hundreds daily and most of them are irrelevant to me so
28 searching for those few that are related to me is really inefficient for
29 me.
30 > ...
31 >
32 > If the current maintainer is MIA, it doesn't change anything from our
33 > current situation. At least it doesn't make it any worse than it is, but
34 > has advantages for those available. I'm sorry I may have not understood
35 > your question correctly here? We can claim maintainer timeout, or ask QA
36 > to deal with these situations. It wouldn't change.
37 if a maintainer is mia and does not accept pull requests, there is much
38 lower chance to get his/her package fixed/bumped. i personally do not
39 hesitate to step up and fix a package though i do not maintain it if the
40 bug bothers me and i see no activity from the maintainer. and if i can
41 find a pull request for such a package, it could save me some time. so
42 what i had on my mind is a situation with maintainer mia +
43 no-pull-requests-policy -> worse situation than maintainer mia and
44 yes-pull-requests-policy.
45 > I believe toggling the flag per-package basis is too much. Sure I can
46 > see the situation where this happens, but the point here is to enable
47 > communication between contributor and maintainer. If you're not
48 > accepting PRs to some packages, you can close the PR informing
49 > contributor about it. It'd be better than leave it to rot for months,
50 > years, with no answer.
51
52 you know much better than me how pull requests are processed and what
53 benefits and problems those bring. for me pull requests are generally
54 good thing but sometimes when i see the quality of them, basic issues
55 not resolved like the missing signed-off-by, contributors not responding
56 and disappearing... i'm just not sure this whole effort will bring some
57 advancement, but i trust your opinion on that as you are the one
58 spending a lot of time on github. anyway, when it comes to this feature
59 mentioned above, if it might be of any use, it can work as an override
60 for package where it is specified and otherwise be undefined. in the end
61 the contributor will be interested in whether the package accepts pull
62 requests, not a dev or project.
63
64 > Your last question wouldn't be any different from a current situation,
65 > however other devs/users can inform the contributor that this maintainer
66 > can't/doesn't use Github, and the PR can be closed. I'm mostly looking
67 > for communication here. I believe being rejected is better than being
68 > ignored. The bug can be dealt separately from Github PR.
69 i agree with you, making a contribution and being ignored is demotivating.
70 > There's a tool that tells what PRs reference a closed bug,
71 >
72 > (ie contribution was made, but not accepted/noticed, and the bug was
73 > closed regardless of it)
74 >
75 > https://github.com/wimmuskee/gengee
78 >> sorry for this flood of questions but atm it brings confusion to me
79 >> :-) from my point of view and personal preference, i appreciate pull
80 >> requests from contributors if those are of a decent quality, but for
81 >> me it's hard to easily find out the relevant pull requests. with the
82 >> new packages.gentoo.org it might be easier in the future but i'm not
83 >> sure yet how reliable it is atm as for example the list of outdated
84 >> packages for proaudio@
85 >> (https://packages.gentoo.org/maintainer/proaudio@g.o/outdated)
86 >> does not seem to be updated or i misunderstood something. the same
87 >> goes for the list of bugs
88 >> (https://packages.gentoo.org/maintainer/proaudio@g.o/bugs)
89 >> which seems to be missing some bugs as my list with "Assignee:
90 >> proaudio@g.o" has 96 bugs atm compared to 76 bugs at
91 >> packages.gentoo.org.
92 >>
93 >> fordfrog
94 > Please talk to arzano about this. Although I'm pretty sure he will read
95 > this thread ;)
96 can't we have a bug tracker for this webapp? i think it's so useful that
97 it would deserve such a space :-)
98 > -- juippis
99
100 fordfrog