From: "Jason A. Donenfeld" <zx2c4@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] proposal: use only one hash function in manifest files
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 16:34:12
1 Hi Robin,
2
3 On Wed, Apr 06, 2022 at 05:31:09PM +0000, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
4 > On Wed, Apr 06, 2022 at 07:06:30PM +0200, Jason A. Donenfeld wrote:
5 > > No, you're still missing the point.
6 > >
7 > > If SHA-512 breaks, the security of the system fails, regardless of
8 > > what change we make. This is because GnuPG uses SHA-512 for its
9 > > signatures.
10 > Question directly for you Jason, because you make a professional study
11 > of this: does the type of breakage/successful attack against against
12 > SHA-512 matter?
13 >
14 > e.g. is it possible that some type of attack would only work against the
15 > Manifest entry, but NOT against the GPG signature's embedded SHA-512 (or
16 > the opposite).
17 >
18 > The best hypothetical idea I had was that there exists some large
19 > special input that lets an attacker reset the output to an arbitrary
20 > hash after their malicious payload: but it wouldn't fit in the GPG
21 > signature space.
22
23 Generally speaking, the more control an attacker has over the input, the
24 easier certain types of attacks might be. So maybe in the most general
25 sense that applies. I wouldn't model a security analysis around that,
26 though. Rather, the usual way to apply that sort of thinking is to
27 design algorithms that rely on certain properties of hash functions, but
28 not others; for example, Ed25519 does not rely on the hash function
29 being collision resistant due to its construction.
30
31 Jason