From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: aging ebuilds with unstable keywords
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 13:41:27
1 Anthony Gorecki posted <200509120109.37756.agorecki@××××××××××.com>,
2 excerpted below, on Mon, 12 Sep 2005 01:09:34 -0700:
3
4 > On Sunday, September 11, 2005 20:42, Daniel Ahlberg wrote:
5 >> The page shows results from a number of tests that are run against the
6 > ebuilds.
7 >
8 > Why does this script no longer include the results in the actual message?
9 > It was helpful to have both as a reference source.
10
11 Well, the idea was helpful, but (as an amd64 user) I'm not entirely sure
12 the implementation was all that helpful.
13
14 The problem was due to the non-x86 "imlate" tracking. Unfortunately, it
15 didn't work right, with the result normally meaning the top-10 spots as
16 listed in the message, were all ~amd64 entries where ~arch (for
17 some arch, normally x86) had been added several hundred days
18 earlier (before there /was/ a Gentoo amd64 arch, AFAIK), because it had no
19 way of tracking when the ~amd64 keyword was added, and incorrectly assumed
20 that the package had been ~amd64 since the package was keyworded ~arch for
21 /one/ arch at that point.
22
23 As one of the newer and more active archs, just then adding ~arch for
24 the first time to many apps, this was particularly frustrating for amd64,
25 since it left the impression the amd64 arch-team were a bunch of slackers
26 (no offense to slackware folks) that left packages in ~arch for hundreds
27 of days at a time, for little reason.
28
29 So... if the script now ignores that factor, at least when calculating
30 the top-10, or if it has been fixed to correct the issue (a non-trivial
31 task, someone remarked at one point, because the info wasn't directly
32 available), and assuming there are no other such "spammer factors", it
33 /could/ be /very/ useful. However, personally, at least, I'd /not/ like
34 to see it return in the broken state it was in, as I can't imagine that
35 being anything but frustration, to those responsible for the ebuilds
36 wrongly listed, due to a broken script. (Not that my personal opinion
37 means a lot as "just" a user, on a dev list, but FWIW, whatever /that/ may
38 be.)
43 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
44 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
48 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list