From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: allow -1 for ACCT_USER_ID and ACCT_GROUP_ID in ::gentoo
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2021 01:42:56
1 On Tue, 2021-11-30 at 19:32 -0600, William Hubbs wrote:
2 >
3 > This is the part of this that I don't understand. If we aren't enforcing
4 > an ID, why do we care which ID to try first? It seems to be an
5 > unnecessary step since users can pick the IDs they want by putting
6 > settings in make.conf.
9 This way, all new installs have consistent IDs by default. Users having
10 to manually specify every ID on every system to have them be consistent
11 is exactly what we are trying to avoid.