From: Alexander Berntsen <bernalex@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Facilitating user contributed ebuilds (Was: [gentoo-dev] The future of the Sunrise project)
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2016 07:49:50
2 Hash: SHA512
3
4 On 16/06/16 09:34, Daniel Campbell wrote:
5 > There is overhead in choosing which repositories you want to
6 > include in your 'upstream'. Even with an automated tool like
7 > layman, there's maintenance overhead. We'd need another tool to
8 > assist in discoverability, too. Let's say this idea takes off and
9 > we start with 100-200 user repos. It's meaningless to learn that
10 > there are that many repositories and list them (that's what layman
11 > currently does). What's important is getting a list of *which
12 > packages* those repos have, even if it's one-by-one and cat'd to a
13 > file.
14 >
15 > Even if that is written, it adds yet another facet to system
16 > administration.
17 I'm not convinced it will be a big amount of work, and I'm doubly not
18 convinced most people will have *any* amount of work, as I expect most
19 people do not care. (I would however be pleasantly surprised to be
20 proven wrong.) They will start out with the Gentoo repositories, and
21 only venture outside if they are aspiring devs, powerusers, or have
22 some specific need that an overlay satisfies. If we have a useful
23 website (and improved CLI layman-like tool for those who have
24 webophobia), the complexity of assessing which overlay to use should
25 be exclusively derived from actual assessment, not being bogged down
26 in a hodgepodge of unreasonable tools. We should also have some way of
27 measuring popularity, and let users show appreciation for
28 repositories, so that there is a way to determine 'this is a top rated
29 repository that many people use'.
30
31 But, yes, unequivocally yes, there is an added level of system
32 administration for those who choose it! I just happen to think it is a
33 *desirable* addition for those who end up choosing it.
34
35 > Okay, and who chooses which ones get curated? Developers? The
36 > whole goal of this decentralization, from what I gather, is
37 > community. If developers are overseeing it all, it adds overhead to
38 > developers and doesn't really foster community control or support.
39 I think it is a good idea to have our developers perform reviews and
40 quality assurance.
41
42 > If the goal is community then it should be *community curated*,
43 > which means it can exist entirely outside of Gentoo's infra and we
44 > shouldn't have to care about it. Why do Gentoo devs need to curate
45 > it if the aim is community control? In fact, that's already
46 > possible right here, right now.
47 At first, I envision *community-assisted development* rather than our
48 immediate retirement and holiday in the sun. It would however be good
49 to aim *towards more community control*. Maybe in the future, instead
50 of having a KDE team we have just one person or two (volunteers like
51 now) who are performing a bit of review, QA, and coordination, of a
52 small repository. Then perhaps in a more distant future it is entirely
53 community driven. Stranger things have happened... But I would be
54 happy to see the preceding success story, even if we don't get all the
55 way.
56
57 > I'm not against the idea per se, but at the same time I don't see
58 > why it's the responsibility of developers to make this sort of
59 > thing happen. It's not a trivial thing we can mark off in a
60 > checklist. However, there are enough tools in the Gentoo toolbox to
61 > make such a thing happen -- if the community wants it. And if they
62 > want it, they can build it. We don't do anything, to my knowledge,
63 > to stifle the growth of community repositories.
64 I think we do a poor job of fostering the growth of community
65 repositories, outside of making them possible in the first place. The
66 latter is good, of course, and kudos to everyone who's worked on it.
67 But it would be interesting to take it a step further and properly
68 facilitate these repositories.
69
70 And, again, modular repositories from our side, would make this that
71 much more desirable. (And modularising the Gentoo tree is obviously
72 our responsibility.)
73 - --
74 Alexander
75 bernalex@g.o