From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: aging ebuilds with unstable keywords - how can we help?
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 14:49:46
1 On Thu, 2006-07-27 at 11:11 -0700, Richard Fish wrote:
2 > On 7/27/06, Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o> wrote:
3 > Please don't interpret my original message as a complaint. It isn't.
4 > It is mostly a question of the process. My understanding of
5 > stabilization bugs was that they should be the exception, not the
6 > rule...
7 >
8 > > that you might not be able to make a commitment, or even want to do so.
9 > > However, every single bug report that you file *is* helping out... and
10 > > every little bit helps.
11 >
12 > ...and I was wrong.
13
14 The x86 architecture team (as well as some others) do not mark packages
15 stable unless there is a bug. In the case of the x86 team, it is simply
16 due to a lack of manpower and also due to our feelings that we should
17 not mark things stable without the maintainer requesting it. Of course,
18 we don't *require* a bug report be made. If the maintainer asks (via
19 email, IRC, etc.) us, then we will do it. Also, we don't require that
20 requests originate from the maintainer, only that the maintainer
21 approves. For example, I, as a user, could file a request to have a
22 package marked stable, this would be assigned to the maintainer. If the
23 maintainer agrees, then the arch teams are added to CC on the bug and
24 they mark the package stable. Many packages do not get marked stable
25 simply because most developers maintain a very large number of packages,
26 and simply forget. This is why bug reports from the users is definitely
27 helpful in getting things stable.
30 Chris Gianelloni
31 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
32 x86 Architecture Team