From: Stroller <root@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] proposal: make gentoo-core publicly read-only
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 21:50:04
1 On 27/6/03 8:21 pm, "Matthew Kennedy" <mkennedy@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > I hope that we can open -core as a publicly read-only list to involve
4 > our community more. We owe this much to our user-base in my opinion.
5 > For these reasons, I have CC'd this to -dev.
6
7 I can appreciate the reasons for which -core is a closed list, and I was in
8 strong support of it when I initially read them. I took the approach: the
9 Gentoo devs are the folks are the ones doing the work, so the Gentoo devs
10 can do as they wish in this regard.
11
12 However this recent spat does reflect very badly. Now not only do you have
13 to recognise the fact that users feel excluded from the -core list, you also
14 have to recognise the exclusivity of the -biz list, also.
15
16 I am sure both these lists are closed for very valid reasons, but how about
17 opening the archives of the -core list after 3 months or so, much in the way
18 that national classified documents are often published after 50 years..?
19
20 Obviously, it is harder to prove that the archives have not been censored
21 themselves, than in the case of a live read-only mailing list, but this
22 would provide the opportunity for devs to discuss security & fall on their
23 faces in private (because no one cares about such trivial stuff months down
24 the line), and still provide public openness.
25
26 Stroller.
30 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list