From: bdharring <bdharring@××××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Cc: John Whitney <jjw@×××××××××.org>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP for Deltup package update system
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 09:18:12
1 On Monday, July 28, 2003, at 05:09 PM, John Whitney wrote:
2
3 > All this project needs is the green light. Isn't it about time we
4 > make Gentoo more available to the bandwidth deprived?
5 Taking a quick look at deltup-0.4 (most recent available via
6 sourceforge), it is still reliant on having an older version of bzip2
7 installed to handle cases where the target distfile was compressed w/
8 the older version of bzip2. That strikes me as side stepping the
9 problem- say down the line, either the bzip2 or gzip implementation was
10 tweaked again to produce a slightly better compression, you'd run into
11 the same problem again of maintaining md5 correctness.
12 As I had mentioned in the past on this ml, I'd think some solution
13 allowing for an md5 checksum of the data rather then the compressed
14 form of said data would be a better solution. On the plus side, it
15 could be extended to allow the user better control over what
16 compression is used on their distfiles, but that's ancillary to the
17 problem I mentioned above.
18
19 Other then that point of contention, kudos on bdelta's performance.
20 ~bdh
21
22 > ---JJW
23 > --
25 > http://www.linuxmail.org/
26 > Now with e-mail forwarding for only US$5.95/yr
27 >
28 > Powered by Outblaze
29 >
30 > --