From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: ssuominen@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Packages up for grabs due lack of time
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2013 11:42:18
1 On Sun, 17 Feb 2013 12:09:22 +0200
2 Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On 17/02/13 12:05, Michał Górny wrote:
5 > > savedconfig is a cheap hack. It lacks all the features USE flags have.
6 > > Really. We're talking here about replacing well-organized packages with
7 > > one cheap hack for the laziness of a few developers. But that's how
8 > > Gentoo worked for a long time.
9 >
10 > This is how you would justify adding separate ebuild for every firmware
11 > from the linux-firmware bundle?
12
13 I would justify it through keeping things split and bit-exact clean,
14 instead of tightly integrated.
15
16 Separate ebuilds mean that:
17
18 - each firmware has proper license,
19
20 - each firmware can be installed separately and it is _clean_ which
21 firmwares are actually installed (think of binpkgs),
22
23 - each firmware can be upgraded when it needs to be (alternatively: all
24 firmwares are re-installed over and over again when new firmware is
25 added).
26
27 And I wouldn't mind having even 200 sys-firmware/ packages. And don't
28 tell me that firmwares change every month, these are particularly
29 maintenance-free packages.
30
31 And I don't mind having meta-packages for lazy people.
32
33 Although I believe that having a few 'group' packages for firmwares
34 will be 'acceptable'. Assuming those firmwares share a common license.
37 Best regards,
38 Michał Górny