From: Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Hold on portage feature requests
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2005 11:35:36
1 On Monday 01 August 2005 02:07, R Hill wrote:
2 > Alec Joseph Warner wrote:
3 > > Donnie Berkholz wrote:
4 > >>
5 > >> Are you having a tough time filtering out enhancements in your queries
6 > >> or something? I don't understand how feature requests could possibly
7 > >> interfere with anything besides other enhancements.
8 > >>
9 > >
10 > > Many of the enhancements aren't marked as such,
11 >
12 > Then they should be. ;) There's nothing wrong with reclassifying your
13 > bugs to make it easier to manage them. The features are there exactly
14 > for this reason - so critical bugs don't get drowned out by less
15 > important bugs or enhancement requests. I guess it doesn't really
16 > matter, but it would have been just as easy to set the severity of these
17 > bugs to min or enh rather than close them, and then they would still
18 > show up on a simple search.
19
20 Several people have asked why the available bug attributes don't suffice.
21 The reasons are quite simple:
22
23 1) Feature requests won't be addressed any time soon.
24
25 It was suggested that closing the bugs as LATER will cause more duplicates
26 and effect more work. I deferred (not closed!) 150 feature requests at least
27 a third of which were duplicates. Because feature requests are not being
28 addressed, they are piling up and users are not able to find duplicates
29 with the bugs being open anyway. However, publicizing that feature requests
30 have been put on hold has had the desired affect. There have been no new
31 requests this past week.
32
33 2) Every bug change has to be dealt with at least twice.
34
35 I try to monitor bugs via the emails sent as much as possible. With the
36 amount generated by new feature requests and the numerous "+1" posts on
37 existing requests, it is simply not feasible to parse the incoming mail
38 without making at least two passes. Here, I can hear people suggesting
39 that I just /dev/null the email and monitor bugs via bugzilla. My answer?
40 Opening listing 100+ bugs (that's assuming the bugs were properly categorized
41 (which they are not) - there is actually about 300 bugs open other than the
42 150 feature requests closed) as well as the bugs is a slow painful process
43 on a 32000bps connection.
44
45 3) To be able to utilize bug mails beyond notification.
46
47 I've written a simple script to create a report of what bugs have changed
48 and how many times within a set period. I'm posting the results to the
49 portage mailing list in order to try and fish out some fresh blood. Having
50 these reports littered with feature requests means that the important stuff
51 that is causing users problems is hidden between all the "oh wouldn't it be
52 lovely" bugs. Yes, this has also been successful already. There's been
53 patches posted on various bugs that actually fix the root cause of the
54 problems outlined.
55
56 4) Less user frustration.
57
58 The two most frequent comments at the moment are "is anybody looking at
59 this?" and "it's been over a year!" Users knowing what's going on and
60 especially finding that their minor bugs are starting to gain some activity
61 can only be a good thing.
62
63 I could figure out some more reasons if it's really necessary, but the past
64 week has shown that the path chosen (even if there is some better path) is
65 not a bad one as things are working out well thus far.
68 Jason Stubbs