From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Install problem with new box. help please.
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 20:41:17
On Mon, Sep 24, 2001 at 04:59:02PM -0400, Wayne Ringling wrote:
> > > I am working on setting up this new raid box and run into a problem. I get > as far as the below msg in the boot process and it stalls. Any ideas > greatly appreciated. > > ide: Assuming 33 Mhz system bus speed for pio modes, override with > idebus=xx > VP_IDE: VIA vt8233 (rec 00) IDE UDMA100 controlleron pci00:11.1 > Ide0: BM-DMA at 0xd800 - 0xd807, Bios settings: hda:DMA, hdb:DMA > Ide1: BM-DMA at 0xd808 - 0xd80F, Bios settings: hdc:pio, hdd:pio
I would say that this is a kernel bug. Whether or not there's kernel support for your particular RAID setup (my guess is loading the correct module after boot would make it work), your kernel really *should* boot no matter what. When we start using a newer kernel, the problem may go away. Do you happen to know what particular kernel feature you need enabled for Linux to recognize your hardware RAID stuff? Best Regards, -- Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o> Chief Architect/President Gentoo Technologies, Inc.

Subject Author
RE: [gentoo-dev] Install problem with new box. help please. Wayne Ringling <wayne@××××××.com>