From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Some council topics for March meeting
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2007 08:25:14
1 On Sat, 3 Mar 2007 03:09:33 -0500 Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
2 wrote:
3 > On Saturday 03 March 2007, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
4 > > I'd like it spelt out please.
5 >
6 > stop playing games
7
8 No, I'm being entirely serious here. Everything I've heard about what
9 PMS is supposed to achieve has been discussing distant future goals.
10 There's never been any serious justification for immediacy. If there
11 really is such a need, and it's not just brought about by certain
12 people being dicks and having nothing better to do than moan about any
13 project that has me or spb involved, then I'd like to hear it so that I
14 can reprioritise things.
15
16 > > So why not start by imposing deadlines upon more important projects
17 > > like Portage USE deps, a Portage GLEP 42 implementation, a Portage
18 > > GLEP 23 implementation, a stable Portage API, tree-wide GPG signing
19 > > and things that users really care about? Is PMS really more
20 > > important than any of these?
21 >
22 > i'd rate all of these as less important than an EAPI=0 spec except
23 > for the GPG signing ... robbat i believe is looking into that
24
25 Why? What value does PMS deliver to end users? How is whatever it
26 delivers more valuable than features that users want and need?
27
28 I really want a proper answer to this. If there's some value to be
29 found in having PMS ready in the short term that I'm missing then I
30 want to hear it so that I can spend more time working on PMS and less
31 on other things.
34 Ciaran McCreesh
35 Mail : ciaranm at ciaranm.org
36 Web : http://ciaranm.org/