From: Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] KDEDIR
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2002 08:00:14
1 On Wednesday 02 January 2002 15:42, you wrote:
2 > Although I understand (I think) why the use of KDEDIR=/usr, may I offer it
3 > makes it rather hard for those of use who want/need to run multiple
4 > versions of KDE.
5 >
6 > May I offer that the /usr/kde/2 and /usr/kde/3 that you all ready have
7 > the kdelibraries be the actual kdedir as well?
8 Well, this suggestion was raised before but we decded against it. For one
9 thing, you'd still have to juggle paths the way you do now. In any case it
10 was decided that providing support for one version of any app (and multiple
11 kdes) is enough.
12
13 > One could then make a base
14 > symlink to the active on (as well as qt libraries). that way the
15 > ld.conf.so and path's dont have to be modified everytime, just the link.
16 Are they being modified now? Not as far as I know, just being set in
17 /etc/env.d. The only "dynamic" modification going on is in startkde (PATH)
18 and I may get rid of that as well.
19
20 The KDEDIR etc. settings and configuration have just come out of a prolonged
21 state of flux; things are still settling down.
22 I am currently running a combined KDE2/3 for the first time and am working out
23 the best way to implement this in ebuilds. I should be able to give you a
24 satisfying answer in a couple of days from now, when I have all the quirks
25 worked out.
28 > The way it is at the moment, with all kde apps going into /usr/bin, trynig
29 > to run two kdes (and switching back and forth) is rather difficult.
30 Well, one thing I can tell you right now is this: the generic Gentoo KDE setup
31 does not, and will not, include support for mutiple KDEs. If you want to run
32 multiple KDEs yourself, expect the Portage-installed KDE to make trouble. For
33 one thing, since it lives in /usr, it has an unpleasant tendency to get into
34 the beginning of your PATH, before any other KDE.
35
36 I will try to provide a more satisfcatory solution, but the Gentoo KDE will
37 still come first in my priorities. So if you want to have multiple KDEs on a
38 permanent basis (what for? testing?), you might consider not installing a KDE
39 from portage at all. That way all you KDEs would be on an equal footing, but
40 you'd lose all the nice things we put into the KDE ebuilds.
44 Dan Armak
45 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop Team
46 Matan, Israel