From: Gilles Dartiguelongue <eva@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: PROPERTIES=funky-slots
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2012 10:18:52
1 Le dimanche 24 juin 2012 à 16:48 +0800, Ben de Groot a écrit :
2 > On 24 June 2012 06:50, Gilles Dartiguelongue <eva@g.o> wrote:
3 > > Le samedi 23 juin 2012 à 18:30 +0100, Ciaran McCreesh a écrit :
4 > >>
5 > >> It treats -r300 as being newer than -r200, and so will treat "the gtk3
6 > >> version" or "the jruby version" as being newer versions of "the gtk2
7 > >> version" or "the ruby 1.8 version", just as it tries to bring in a
8 > >> newer GCC and so on.
9 > >
10 > > I'm stopping my reading of this thread a minute to answer here.
11 > >
12 > > This is actually true when you think of it, gtk3 bindings are newer than
13 > > gtk2.
14 >
15 > Now you're playing with semantics. In the case of -r200/-r300 we
16 > are talking about the *exact same* $PV, but for some reason
17 > the revision numbers are confusingly abused for something
18 > that we normally use useflags for (toggling support for specific
19 > toolkits for example).
20 >
21 > Please stop abusing revision numbers for something they are
22 > not meant to convey. And please stop pushing developers to
23 > drop perfectly legal usage of the gtk3 useflag.
26 This is the same codebase, but they really are slotted libs (that
27 happens to have the same $PV):
28 * different include path
29 * different pkgconfig files
30 * different sonames
31 * ...
32
33 If the $PV wasn't the same, there would be no question about have a USE
34 flag or not, the answer would be obvious to anyone. So please stop
35 pretending this is a good case for USE flag.
36
37 Now if this is the only case (lib with support for two gtk+ versions but
38 slottable/slotted) that is causing a problem to anyone here, I propose
39 we go with the simplest fix, have a new package name. That will remember
40 me of debian packaging :)
43 Gilles Dartiguelongue <eva@g.o>
44 Gentoo