From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] why does gcc-3.4.x depend on gcc-3.3.x / libstdc++?
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 17:22:31
1 On Sat, 2005-08-27 at 02:46 +0200, Bjarke Istrup Pedersen wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA1
4 >
5 > I must say I have been wondering about this for a while too.
6 > A solution might be add some sort of flag to packages that are binary,
7 > and then let portage install libstdc++ the first time you install this
8 > kind of package.
9
10 You're right.
11
12 We could even make it a dependency based on the gcc version. Wouldn't
13 that be neat? Maybe something like this:
14
15 || ( <=gcc-3.3*
16 libstdc++-v3 )
17
18 For the humor impaired, this was a joke. Why is it a joke? Because
19 you're missing the non-binary packages that this completely breaks.
20 Want a cool, small example? Install gcc 3.3, configure it as your
21 primary compiler, emerge fluxbox, upgrade to gcc 3.4 and remove all
22 traces of gcc 3.3 and libstdc++-v3, then try running fluxbox.
23 Basically, vapier got tired of all of the "my $foo package is broken"
24 bugs because people didn't realize that anything that linked against the
25 older gcc would *require* being recompiled to work properly. The
26 solution? Add this library by default.
29 Chris Gianelloni
31 Games - Developer
32 Gentoo Linux