From: Mark Bainter <mark-gt@×××××.org>
To: Greg Corcoran <gregc@××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proper Gentoo Name (was License criteria for Gentoo)
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 07:07:46
1 Greg Corcoran [gregc@××××××.com] wrote:
2 > On Wed, 2002-09-25 at 04:35, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
3 > > To take this into the car analogies.
4 > >
5 > > The car called Linux or Gnu linux
6 > > Engine: made by Linus Torvalds & co. branded linux
7 > > Gearbox: made by FSF branded glibc
8 > > and so on with other pieces ...
9 >
10 > Excellent points!
11 >
12 > This means that the Integrators (the Gentoo developers) are really
13 > building the OS from parts from different suppliers.
14 >
15 > These parts are put together as defined by the "system" profile. This is
16 > the base OS.
17 >
18 > QED the proper name is:
19 >
20 > Gentoo(TM) OS
21
22 Actually, to take your point all the way, the proper name
23 is whatever the hell they want to call it. Gentoo,
24 Gentoo Linux, or whatever else one might come up with.
25
26 As long as I'm posting on this again, I'd like to comment
27 on the earlier posts that "all this is over two lines".
28 It's not. Those two lines carry with it everything he's
29 said about this topic in other forums. Including his
30 abrasive insistance that anyone he does an interview
31 with call it GNU/linux while talking to him, and his
32 posts on other mailing lists and forums and the GNU
33 website about this same topic.
34
35 That post was not made in a vacuum.