From: "Stephen P. Becker" <geoman@g.o>
To: Jeff Smelser <tradergt@×××××××.org>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] KDE 3.2.3
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2004 18:47:04
1 Jeff Smelser wrote:
2
4 >Hash: SHA1
5 >
6 >On Friday 09 July 2004 01:17 pm, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
9 >>wrote:
10 >>| On Friday 09 July 2004 12:45 pm, Stephen Becker wrote:
11 >>| > At least an hour, if not more. The problem is that not only do the
12 >>| > kde packages need to be stable, but that all packages that kde can
13 >>| > possibly depend on need to be stable also. And deps of the packages
14 >>| > that kde depend on need to be stable...and the deps of those deps
15 >>| > need to be stable...etc. It's not just a rule of thumb or
16 >>| > anything...it's really how it works.
17 >>|
18 >>| I know. They are. This is not the issue at all.
19 >>|
20 >>| I feel some of you have no idea that I do realize all the dep issue
21 >>| and so forth that go into all this. I have thought ALL that through.
22 >>
23 >>Do you have any idea just how frickin' slow repoman is?
27 >No, and? I am not sure how this has to do with me knowing there are no
28 >dependency issue's, please clarify.
32 Repoman has to scan the *entire* portage tree each time you run it.
33 Multiply that by who knows how many total deps of kde there can possibly
34 be, and the time adds up. So, your knowledge of the number of deps
35 doesn't mean jack until you realize how long repoman takes. That's not
36 even counting the number of times you re-run it just to double check you
37 didn't make a mistake. It's a long process.
38
39 Steve
42 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list