From: Gontran <gontran@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Kernel problem
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2001 11:47:31
1 * Clay Mitchell (claymitchell@××××××××.com) wrote:
2 > I'm getting this problem every time I boot up:
3 >
4 > Kernel panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs
7 This is usually the result of specifying incorrect filesystem parameters
8 to the boot loader. Are you keeping in mind the array-like numbering
9 scheme (012345...) for disk partitions when configuring grub? Are you
10 remembering to turn that logic off and name your root partition as the OS
11 understands it for the kernel parameter 'root='?
12
13 > Any idea what's causing this? I'm guessing it's a kernel problem - I
14 > copied the one off the rc6-10 build cd and I can boot. But I haven't
15 > been able to track down what is causing this problem.
16 >
17 > Any ideas?
20 hth,
21 Gontran