From: fusion@×××.edu
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] new ports and binary CDs
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 02:34:05
1 Hi,
2
3 I've been using Gentoo for about 4 days now, and I think it's
4 definitely the best one I've used yet. I loved the OpenBSD ports
5 heirarchy, and I am a bit of a python programmer myself. I'm
6 looking forward to contributing in any way possible, no matter how
7 slight.
8
9 Anyway, I had a few questions:
10
11 1. Is there a way to generate a binary CD image? I'd like to
12 install Gentoo on my friends' machine's but I don't think they'll
13 enjoy the wait. I can compile at the proper optimizations in the
14 background on my beefeater 1GHz for a few days much easier than they
15 can on their own, or wait for the bootstrap process.
16
17 2. Are there guidelines for making additions to the ports? I've
18 already made ebuilds for p5-Perl, coldsync, Pybliographer, and
19 recode-3.5 (for pybliographer). It's so easy to do these it might
20 be redundant or silly, but I would think you'd like to have as many
21 ports as possible (even though these are not difficult builds).
22
23 Thanks for the superb distribution!
26 Daniel