From: Manoj Gupta <manojgupta@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: portage reliance on GNU objcopy ownership perseverance behavior in strip
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2021 04:54:14
1 On Tue, Feb 9, 2021 at 8:44 PM Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On Tue, 2021-02-09 at 21:44 -0500, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
4 > >
5 > > ... games-arcade/xboing are also suspect.
8 > (This one's fine, that's the documented way to do things now. Although
9 > I don't see why we couldn't use a separate group for each game's score
10 > file.)
11 >
12 > This was not an exhaustive list, just the last 10 occurrences.
13 Similar to fowners, I counted 161 usages of fperms though the grep below is
14 not necessarily correct or exhaustive.
15
16 $ grep -ri fperms .|grep bin|grep usr|wc -l
17 161
18
19 In Chrome OS, the switch to llvm-strip/objcopy broke some things like
20 reboot/shutdown (and more) etc.
21 as this functionality relied on group ownership for the power management
22 tools.
23
24 I could imagine that different tools similarly may need group ownership
25 etc. for the tasks they need to perform.
26
27 -Manoj