From: Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Portage Feature Request: making thirdpartymirrors easier to manage
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2014 15:11:15
1 On Tue, 7 Jan 2014 21:12:59 +0000
2 "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > I was also asked by a user to make it possible to adjust the priority
5 > of some mirror URLs, instead of only random choice.
6
7 While we are at it, we could add keywords for (global) regions, so
8 that I can set portage to look for a European mirror and portage will
9 avoid contacting a distant mirror in Asia or America.
10
11 It's probably worth it in the long run to do a little more here than
12 have users simply express priorities for specific mirrors.
13
14 We could probably set up the path structure like this:
15
16 profiles/thirdpartymirrors/gnu/Europe
17
18 and add a blacklist/whitelist/priority structure
19 in /etc/portage/profiles/thirdpartymirrors, maybe?
20
21 Portage might even use the local system's timezone to determine what
22 mirror set to use.
25 jer