From: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Default USE changes for fortran and mudflap?
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2014 11:35:02
1 Am Sonntag, 12. Januar 2014, 08:53:47 schrieb Ryan Hill:
2 > fortran:
3 > Do we want to keep enabling fortran by default? The majority of users will
4 > never get the urge to install a fortran package, and the fortran eclass
5 > handles those that do. I think it should be treated as all the other
6 > optional languages and disabled by default, but I'd like to know if there
7 > are other opinions.
8
9 The problem with fortran is (was?) a bit that it creeps in in unexpected
10 places via scientific libraries (e.g. image processing). Not so far in the
11 past it was necessary to build media-gfx/digikam for example...
12
13 I don't like the long gcc build times either, but would recommend keeping it
14 enabled by default, for a simple reason: We do not have a clean way to depend
15 on it (gcc[fortran] dependencies are pointless because of slotting and gcc-
16 config), and an eclass can only output errors and ask for manual intervention.
17 While just about everywhere else we try to automatize as much as possible...
21 Andreas K. Huettel
22 Gentoo Linux developer
23 dilfridge@g.o
24 http://www.akhuettel.de/