From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo Weekly News Letter - "Where is Gentoo Linux 1.4"
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 11:32:01
1 On Wednesday 25 June 2003 13:22, Matt Thrailkill wrote:
2 > Or heck, if I'm doing a large-scale complex deployment, there doesn't
3 > seem to be a way for me to stick with what I know may be good (i.e.
4 > 1.4-release) and still get bug fixes and security updates through
5 > Portage short of me maintaining my own tree and having my machines pull
6 > that down.
7
8 If you record the bug fixes and use emerge <packagename> and never emerge -u
9 world, things are quite stable, and only required updates are installed.
10
11 > When 1.4 is done and 1.5 starts getting all the stuff that is considered
12 > unstable now, is there going to be a new profile for 1.5 I guess? Or is
13 > it going to be a little sloppier, with both 1.4-stable and 1.4-unstable
14 > slipping forward more and more before a new profile gets made?
15 >
16 Version numbers only really matter for the installation CD's, everyone else is
17 just running his/her own variant of the gentoo metadistribution. New profiles
18 are introduced only for incompatible changes to the base system.
19
20 > Seems like being really anal about profiles, i.e. when the dev team
21 > decides to make a new profile for such and such feature set, could
22 > accomplish most of this. Even then though, wouldn't the local Portage
23 > tree have to contain all the ebuilds in all the profiles? That could
24 > start getting fat after a while, since any one machine is only going to
25 > use a subset of ebuilds. If strict version control was done with
26 > profiles, it might be a good idea then to make rsyncs pull down just the
27 > piece of the tree with the ebuilds for the current profile.
28
29 A profile is more like a mask dissallowing certain versions of ebuilds. For
30 that the number of "inactive" ebuilds is fairly small. This is esp. true for
31 the x86 architecture. Many ebuilds don't have keywords for other
32 architectures, but that does not mean they do not work, it just means they
33 are untested for the architecture. So you'd still want them probably.
34 >
35 > Yes, I know, long long musing to go with such a small quote. Granular
36 > version control makes me feel comfortable about what goes onto my
37 > machines.
40 Do not run emerge -u world. I, personally, never use it except in pretend
41 mode. As I'm currently working as a computing scientist, I don't trust
42 computers ;-)
43
44 Paul
47 Paul de Vrieze