From: Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: robo-stable bugs
Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 15:21:59
1 On Tue, 21 May 2013 00:46:22 +0000 (UTC)
2 Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
3 > As a user, I've understood:
4 >
5 > * Severity is something the user/filer can use.
6
7 So when Chromium doesn't compile on your machine, you set it as a
8 Blocker, and then it gets reverted to Normal because it works fine for
9 the other 99,9%. Individual users are probably not best suited to
10 discover the scope of a bug report, let alone the actual bug, if there
11 is one. If the Severity does not get reverted to Normal, then we can
12 safely assume it's being completely ignored.
13
14 The interpretation of Severity is highly dependent on the type of bug
15 report. It's already diverting strongly between stabilisation requests,
16 security vulnerabilities and changes to documentation. The meaning of
17 the field thusly changes according to the Product/Component and other
18 fields.
19
20 > * Priority is strictly for maintainers/teams if they want to use it,
21 > NOT the user/filer (unless it's a maintainer filed bug).
22
23 There is no policy here except where herds/teams specifically set them
24 out.
25
26 > Even so, if there's no known-approved reason to set severity, a user
27 > should just leave it alone. That means users unfamiliar with
28 > gentoo's bugzilla should just leave it alone.
29
30 Agreed.
31
32 > * If it's an enhancement I mark it as such, and expect maintainer bug
33 > priority ranked less urgent as a result. The *.desktop file example
34 > someone mentioned goes here,
35
36 What if a bad/missing .desktop file stops you from running an app
37 through your DM/another app trying to find an appropriate program to
38 open a file in?
39
40 > * If the bug has system-wide or arch-class-wide (all ~arch, for
41 > instance) implications, I'll sometimes up severity accordingly, with
42 > a note in the text explaining my reasoning. Toolchain or base-system
43 > bugs that prevent normal boot or system upgrade arguably fit here,
44 > especially if they're on a recently (say a day) unmasked or announced
45 > to be unmasked package with arch-class-wide implications, where an
46 > immediate remask might be appropriate until the situation can be
47 > resolved.
48
49 What if your initial analysis completely misses the mark? Then you
50 end up with an INVALID Blocker with one or more devs investigating
51 hours in a user error. How did setting Severity help here?
52
53 In conclusion, setting Severity can only be properly done after an
54 actual bug has been appreciated, not at the time you file the bug
55 report.
56
57 > * Also, arugably many security bugs could get severity-upgraded,
58 > altho with security handled separately on gentoo, I'd discourage that
59 > unless again it's something like toolchain or base-system, thus
60 > fitting the above system-wide condition.
61
62 As explained above, the security team has its own rules.
65 jer