From: Stephen Bennett <spb@g.o>
To: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Handling multiple packages providing the same convenience symlink
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2004 19:14:49
1 On Thu, 2004-11-04 at 19:02 +0000, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > Yeah. TGL's *.system idea could be useful here, or maybe we could
3 > specify some kind of 'forced' option. Like, on x86-fbsd maybe the
4 > setting could be marked as read only somehow? Presumably detection could
5 > see whether or not it's a symlink and base it upon that?
6 >
7 > bsd-box# eselect --list vi
8 > [1] /usr/bin/vi (*) [forced]
9 > [2] /usr/bin/vim
10 > [3] /usr/bin/nvi
11
12 That scheme could work and has its merits, but there will inevitably be
13 some people who will always prefer vim to vi... ;) Personally, I'd quite
14 like to be able to have `vi` launch vim, but still have the 'real' vi
15 around. To a certain extent, the same could be said of /bin/sh too. ;)
16 However, some scheme to deal with packages that haven't been converted
17 to use the alternatives setup and just blindly overwrite those files
18 would be good too. In that case, you probably don't want to be running
19 eselect and nuking a binary, so some kind of forcing method might be
20 useful there (perhaps with a suggestion to file a bug report?).
21 --
22 Stephen Bennett <spb@g.o>
23 Gentoo/BSD developer
27 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list