From: Eric Sammer <eric@××××××××××××.com>
To: "gentoo-dev@g.o" <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Directory services (was Re: [gentoo-dev] maybe it is time to put portage queries into a database.)
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 12:23:34
1 Just to add something to my last email about portage and database /
2 directory services...
3
4 While talking to my wife this morning (a sysadmin and security
5 professional and fellow gentoo user) about this situation, we realized
6 something else about portage in openldap. This would (or could,
7 depending on implementation) severely limit the rsync bottle neck by
8 allowing for a hierarchy of directory servers to be replicated from by
9 users. With clever use of referals and replication, you could
10 effectively remove the rsync issues of bandwidth and the
11 "stop-syncing-so-often-it's-rude" problem. Updates to portage would be
12 propagated down the line when commited moving a smaller (but steady)
13 stream of traffic rather than unpredictable bursts (note: that's an
14 assumption). This would eliminate the need for 'emerge sync' (in theory).
15
16 Again, this is all very academic as the data to back up these ideas is
17 out of the public eye (thankfully). Maybe just food for thought...
18
19 Thanks to all devs for all the great work.
20 --
21 Eric Sammer
22 eric@××××××××××××.com
23 http://www.ineoconcepts.com