From: Mike Pagano <mpagano@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Vanilla sources stabilization policy change
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2013 14:08:18
1 tl;dr
2
3 Summary
4
5 Team members working alongside upstream (and downstream) developer Greg k-h
6 have decided to no longer request stabilization of the vanilla sources kernel.
7 Team members and arch teams (understandably) are unable to keep up with the
8 1-2 weekly kernel releases, and therefore will now direct users to always run
9 the latest vanilla sources, or to run gentoo-sources for a fully Gentoo
10 supported kernel. We will continue to do our best effort to request and get
11 stabililzed g-s versions.
14 Details
15
16 Some facts:
17
18 1. Upstream release rate is now a much higher 1-2 kernels a week.
19 2. Very frequently, these releases contain security fixes.
20 3. This rate of release puts arch teams in a difficult position, since
21 it is unsustainable to try to keep up to date with stabilization
22 4. By continuing the policy of providing a stable vanilla kernel version,
23 Gentoo is giving a false sense of security to its users, since by the time the
24 kernel does get stabilized, a newer version with more security fixes is almost
25 always already released
26
27 Eventually, we will be updating our project pages to reflect these changes. As
28 always with me, constructive dialog concerning this policy is welcome.
29
30 Original thread of discussion:
31 http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.kernel/697
34 Mike Pagano
35 Gentoo Developer - Kernel Project
36 E-Mail : mpagano@g.o
37 GnuPG FP : EEE2 601D 0763 B60F 848C 9E14 3C33 C650 B576 E4E3
38 Public Key : http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?search=0xB576E4E3&op=index