From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] [Fwd: [UCLUG] [Nagios-users] Job post: SysAdmin/NetEngineer (NYC)]
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 16:35:07
1 I got this from my local LUG, thought I would share for anyone in the
2 NYC area.
3
4 -----Forwarded Message-----
5 > From: chbaker@×××××××××××××××××××××.com
6 > To: uclug@×××××.org
7 > Subject: [UCLUG] [Nagios-users] Job post: SysAdmin/NetEngineer (NYC)
8 > Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 08:15:21 -0500
9 >
10 > Any of you Gentoo types interested in moving to NYC?
11 > ----
12 > Charles H. Baker
13 > Unix/Linux Systems Administrator
14 > chbaker at ps dot rockwell dot com
15 > work: 864.281.2409 fax: 864.281.2487 cell: 864.363.5302
16 > If you do what you have always done, you will get what you have always
17 > gotten. --Paul J. Meyer
18 > ----- Forwarded by Charles H Baker/PowerSystems/RA/Rockwell on 11/24/2003
19 > 08:14 AM -----
20 >
21 > "Matthew Philips"
22 > <mphilips@××××××××××.com> To: <nagios-users@×××××××××××××××××.net>
23 > Sent by: cc:
24 > nagios-users-admin@×××××.sour Subject: [Nagios-users] Job post: SysAdmin/NetEngineer (NYC)
25 > ceforge.net
28 > 11/21/2003 04:11 PM
35 > Right Media LLC, an interactive media marketing firm, is developing a
36 > high-performance software application that will run on an array of Linux
37 > servers.
38 >
39 > The SysAdmin will design, develop, and maintain the infrastructure to
40 > automatically install Gentoo Linux and various applications and libraries
41 > on new servers; maintain and monitor the network (switches, routers,
42 > servers) for problems; assist the development team with tuning the servers
43 > and the application for optimal performance; and perform application
44 > upgrades to online servers. The SysAdmin will also lead the build-out of
45 > new colocated server arrays.
46 >
47 > Required Skills:
48 > - Professional experience managing multiple servers on complex networks
49 > using automated, free, open-source tools such as cfengine and Nagios.
50 > - Expert Linux system administration - comfortable with compiler flags,
51 > kernel modules, 2.6 kernel, iptables, etc.
52 > - Expert shell scripting (bash, sed, awk)
53 > - Strong networking - routing, DNS, firewalls, server load balancing,
54 > ethernet bonding, link aggregation, tagged VLANs, spanning trees, SNMP
55 > monitoring, etc.
56 > - Strong Perl scripting
57 > - Strong hardware - BIOS settings, hardware RAID arrays, etc.
58 >
59 > For extra bonus points, the SysAdmin will know SQL and MySQL inside and
60 > out, and have experience indexing tables and backing up live databases.
61 >
62 > Typical day:
63 > - 9 AM: Check server logs, disk space, memory usage, all the usual jazz -
64 > make sure systems are running smoothly. Maybe write a quick script to check
65 > this automatically and dump an alert to a Blackberry to save time tomorrow.
66 >
67 > - 10 AM: Recompile the latest 2.6 kernel with a new network driver patch
68 > and run a performance test to see if it's any faster
69 > - 1 PM: Scan mailing lists and newsgroups for possible patches and bug
70 > fixes
71 > - 2 PM: Receive alert that a system is down. Diagnose the problem, hot swap
72 > a hard drive, do nails.
73 > - 3:30 PM: Meet with development team to discuss a performance problem
74 > - 4:00 PM: Help port application to G5, Opteron, and Itanium to do a
75 > price/performance bakeoff
76 >
77 > Right Media is an "open-source-friendly" company. We encourage our
78 > developers and admins to use, actively participate in and contribute to OSS
79 > projects.
80 >
81 > This position is full-time in New York, NY. This is not a telecommute or
82 > contract position. Salary commensurate with experience. Right Media is an
83 > equal opportunity employer.
84 >
85 > To apply:
86 > Email resume and a brief cover letter to jobs03{at}rightmedia.com. The
87 > subject line must explicitly mention "SysAdmin/NetEng" and the cover letter
88 > must mention the specific skills listed above.
94 > UCLUG mailing list
95 > UCLUG@×××××.org