From: Luke-Jr <luke-jr@×××××××.org>
To: Gentoo Developers <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>, gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] A few modest suggestions regarding tree size
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 16:26:36
1 On Wednesday 13 October 2004 7:31 am, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
2 > portage loop file is usually on disk, when a sync is needed:
3 > 1. umount loop file
4 > 2. copy loop file to /dev/shm or other fast place
5 > 3. mount loop file again (from new location)
6 > 4. run updates to loop filesystem ('cvs up; emerge metadata' or 'emerge
7 > sync') 5. umount loop file, copy back to disk
8 > 6. mount loop file again
9
10 Since (from what I've heard) Portage's speed issues are mostly I/O, why not
11 keep the mounted copy on a tmpfs and simply make an on-disk backup after
12 syncing (and copy it back on rebooting)?
13