From: Michael 'veremitz' Everitt <gentoo@×××××××.xyz>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Perspectives on improving (dis-hacking) python-single-r1
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2019 16:20:09
1 On 24/11/19 16:06, Francesco Riosa wrote:
2 > Since we are here ...
3 > I'd still like to see some way to adopt latest python version if user
4 > wants to.
5 > One way it could work is that we add a "LATEST" to PYTHON_TARGETS that
6 > would always build against best version of python.
7 > To avoid complications if a new version of python is emerged together
8 > with other packages it must always include also a numeric version like 3_8
9 >
10 > Regarding your proposal getting rid of PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET would be nice
11 > but being able to have multiple version of python installed is nicer and
12 > differentiate gentoo from most other distro
13 >
14 > Alternative 2 is also nice, the only thing that make me dubious is that
15 > it looks like it will be a gigantic work, but you have a better sense of
16 > the situation and will be one of those doing the actual work, so go for it!
17 Most distros have (or haD) .. python2 and python3 (not necessarily each
18 with their suffix) in their repo's .. but being able to have multiple
19 branches of either is certainly a feature IMHO.
20
21 I'm certainly for re-working the PYTHON_[SINGLE_]TARGETS dependencies, as
22 they can often get 'screwed up' when upgrading between versions, and
23 updating packages in between, and all quickly gets out of sync, and
24 requires a lot of hacking to fix up properly.