From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: seemant@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Herds, Teams and Projects
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 14:31:52
1 On Thu, 2006-04-27 at 09:22 +0200, Kevin F. Quinn (Gentoo) wrote:
2 > I must admit I've assumed that the herd entry in metadata.xml is a
3 > reasonable fall-back if the maintainer entry is missing or the listed
4 > maintainer is away/not responding. This is implied by
5 > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/metastructure/herds/index.xml which
6 > requires <herd> but not <maintainer> - also the description of
7 > <maintainer> says "Besides being a member of a herd, a package can also
8 > be maintained directly" which implies the herd is the default maintainer
9 > if maintainer is not present.
10
11 Well, the herd listing shows what herd that it belongs to, not the team
12 that manages that herd. I think that this is the confusion. For
13 example, catalyst has livecd listed as its herd. However, there is not
14 a "livecd" project, nor team. Instead, the "livecd" herd is maintained
15 by myself, solely, except for genkernel and catalyst, that have
16 alternate maintainers. In the case of catalyst, an alias is listed as
17 the maintainer, since there *is* a catalyst team, albeit small.
18
19 > The herds project description says, "The herds project aims to ensure
20 > that the growing number of ebuilds do not overwelm (sic) the gentoo
21 > project. To this end the herds project aims for the development of
22 > infrastructure that will help manage the collection of ebuilds". This
23 > clearly indicates herds are supposed to have a maintainer role.
24
25 Where?
26
27 I can see how you can interpret it like that, but it is anything but
28 clear in stating it. In fact, it mentions nothing about maintaining any
29 packages, but rather to "manage the collection" of them, which leads me
30 to read it as it is there solely for creating a logical grouping of
31 specific packages, much like how categories work in the tree itself.
32 For example, look at openal. It is a package in the "sound" herd, yet
33 the sound *team* does not maintain it. I do.
34
35 > A quick scan of the tree shows that some 6k+ packages have no
36 > maintainer entry.
37
38 Well, ~700 of those are games, which belong to the games herd, and have
39 no specific maintainer. The games *team* maintains all packages in the
40 games herd that does not have a specific maintainer listed. It just so
41 happens that in *many* cases, the project (or team) has the same name as
42 the herd to which the package belongs. I think that this has been the
43 cause of the confusion, more than the definitions.
44
45 > It would be useful to know how many people think herds are not
46 > maintainers - if only a few people think this then I suggest it would
47 > be better to accept the common interpretation of herd as a group of
48 > people who can maintain a package.
49
50 I definitely do not think that herds are maintainers. At the same time,
51 I understand that many people do think this, so I'm willing to change
52 *my* definition to match what the in practice definition ends up being,
53 if necessary.
56 Chris Gianelloni
57 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
58 x86 Architecture Team