From: "Thomas M. Beaudry" <k8la@×××××××××.com>
To: Dominik Westner <westner@×××××××××××.com>
Cc: Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o>, "Yrjö Hatakka" <yrjo.hatakka@×××××××.fi>, Gentoo-Dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] baselayout 1.8.2 breaks lvm
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 02:01:49
1 I agree, I haven't seen a *nix with these in the main startup script
2 even if the box always had, for example, RAID.
3
4 I would suggest, at the minimum, if you're going to leave them in the
5 script to surround them with an "if" statement controlled by a variable
6 in /etc/conf.d/rc indicating whether it's installed or not.
9 > In the first place I think lvm and raidstart shouldn't be in there at
10 > all, but have separate init scripts.
11 > I use evmns, but still have lvm and raidtools installed. This is a
12 > little bit annoying, because one gets errors messages during startup.
13 >
14 > Dominik
17 >>>
18 >>> After updating to baselayout 1.8.2 boot failed because chkfs could
19 >>> activate my
20 >>> lvm partitions
21 >>>
22 >>> problem is here at line that says:
23 >>> if [ -x /sbin/vgscan -a -d /proc/lvm ]
24 >>>
25 >>> well /proc/lvm doesnt exist when lvm is compiled as a module and not yet
26 >>> loaded. I added modprobe -av lvm-mod above that line
27 >>> - --
30 >> AAAAAHHHHHHHHHH :P
31 >>
32 >> And the last guy promised this is the right way (tm).
33 >>
34 >> so if we add before that line:
35 >>
36 >> -----------------snip----------------------
37 >> /sbin/modprobe -a lvm-mod &>/dev/null || :
38 >> -----------------snip----------------------
39 >>
40 >> it will fix it for you ?
41 >>
42 >> --
43 >>
44 >> Martin Schlemmer
45 >> Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop Team Developer
46 >> Cape Town, South Africa
49 Thomas M. Beaudry
50 k8la / ys1ztm
51
52 If at first you don't succeed, work for Microsoft.