From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Optional Package Dependencies for netscape-flash -> libflashsupport
Date: Sat, 12 May 2007 09:31:19
1 Jim Ramsay wrote:
2 >> > This meets the following goals:
3 >> > 1) It makes it easy for "regular" users to get netscape-flash with
4 >> > any additions required by any global USE flags in exactly one step:
5 >> > - emerge netscape-flash
6 >> So, in netscape-flash:
7 >> RDEPEND="
8 >> ssl? ( foo/libflashsupport )
9 >> pulseaudio? ( foo/libflashsupport )
10 >> esd? ( foo/libflashsupport )
11 >> oss? ( foo/libflashsupport )
12 >> "
13 >> and IUSE="ssl pulseaudio esd oss gnutls" in libflashsupport (which, as
14 >> already said, has it's own ebuild)?
15 >
16 > Yes, I considered this, it is option (2) in the original post in this
17 > thread. However, I do not believe this is the best solution. Consider
18 > the case where:
19 > - A user has 'ssl' disabled globally
20 > - A user sees that netscape-flash now has 'ssl' support, so he/she
21 > enables 'ssl' just for the netscape-flash ebuild.
22 > - The ebuild would then install libflashsupport, but do so without
23 > actually adding ssl support, which would be quite frustrating to the
24 > user, and probably generate unnedded bug traffic.
25 >
26 Well then the ebuild for libflashsupport should pull in ssl iff the flag is
27 set; other packages do similar stuff. A usr who adds ssl to package.use
28 will not be surprised to see the ssl package being pulled in, so no bad
29 experience for the usr, and hopefully less bug reports.
30
31 I really *don't* like the option of a crippled install. It's
32 counter-intuitive and is asking for trouble imo.
33
34 Thanks for adding shiny stuff to flash :)
38 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list