From: Collins Richey <erichey2@××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] depmod -e output, plus kdepim results and other questions
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2001 18:33:41
1 On 08 Oct 2001 22:05:28 +0200 Mikael Hallendal <hallski@g.o>
2 wrote:
3
4 > mån 2001-10-08 klockan 20.06 skrev Gold is Heavy:
5 >
6 > > Question 1:
7 > > Can I run two emerge's side by side? Are there any
8 > locking/race/mutex
9 > > issues involved? Just curious. I think running 2 emerges can
10 > speed
11 > > things up a bit sometimes, if I get lucky and one of them compiles
12 > > while the other one downloads :).
13 >
14 > Hi!
15 >
16 > Yes you can do multiple emerge's at the same time. It's not a good
17 > idea
18 > if both emerges requires you to emerge the same dependency but
19 > otherwise
20 > there shouldn't be no problems.
21 >
22 > Since we don't use a database-file (we store the installed packages
23 > directly on the filesystem) there are no locking involved. When
24 > doing
25 > much job (like this weekend :) I usually emerge three-four packages
26 > at
27 > the same time.
30 Sound plausible, but in direct contradiction to what someone (Daniel?)
31 said a few weeks(months?) ago - namely, don't do it.
34 Collins Richey
35 Denver Area
36 gentoo_rc6 xfce+sylpheed