From: Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Adding --as-needed to LDFLAGS in profiles/default/linux/make.defaults
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 08:43:25
1 El lun, 28-06-2010 a las 06:39 +0530, Nirbheek Chauhan escribió:
2 > Hello everyone,
3 >
4 > I'm sure at least half of you are thinking "Oh no, not this again...",
5 > and I agree. However, I'm /also/ thinking "Why the heck haven't we
6 > done this yet?"
7 >
8 > We've been discussing this since 2008, and probably waaay before that
9 > too. The entire discussion about whether we should do this or not has
10 > already passed, there is NO NEED to have that again. This email is
11 > about discussion on what all is *left* before we can do $SUBJECT.
12 >
13 > What prompted this email? libpng-1.4 and many other upgrades that have
14 > left gentoo systems very very broken. We have to resort to random
15 > scripts to fix breakage, which reflects very badly on us. Even worse,
16 > a lot of users just give up and reinstall their system, or don't
17 > upgrade, or just move away from Gentoo.
18 >
19 > I understand that these kind of breakages are inevitable, but with
20 > as-needed, we can reduce their effect *drastically*. Instead of having
21 > to rebuild almost their entire system, the user would only need to
22 > rebuild packages that directly link(ed) to libpng. I honestly think
23 > that we cannot afford to expose our users to any more such upgrades
24 > without as-needed in the default linux profile.
25 >
26 > There's a tracker bug for this, and the problems still remaining are:
27 > http://bugs.gentoo.org/showdependencytree.cgi?id=129413&hide_resolved=1
28 >
29 > *Most* of the problems listed there are forced-as-needed problems,
30 > which need to be fixed no doubt, but should NOT block addition of
31 > --as-needed to LDFLAGS in make.defaults which will not trigger those
32 > build failures.
33 >
34 > What needs to be done now is for someone with lots of CPU power to
35 > grab the list of packages[1], and build them one-by-one (all
36 > versions), adding to a new list all the ebuilds that fail. How to
37 > test:
38 >
39 > LDFLAGS="-Wl,--as-needed" emerge -v1 $atom
40 >
41 > Once we have the list that fails with normal as-needed, we can fix
42 > them, get the fix upstreamed (if possible), and switch the flag on.
43 > This action should probably be accompanied by a news item informing
44 > users about the change, and encouraging them to report the (rare) bug
45 > which might hit them.
46 >
47 > Let's try to make Gentoo less frustrating for our users.
48 >
49 > 1. http://dev.gentoo.org/~nirbheek/files/as-needed-failures.list
50
51 Thanks for taking care