From: Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Request of news item review: 2013-03-29-udev-predictable-network-interface-names.en.txt
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2013 16:41:01
1 On 29 March 2013 16:21, Nuno J. Silva (aka njsg) <nunojsilva@×××××××.pt>wrote:
2
3 > On 2013-03-29, Diego Elio Pettenò <flameeyes@×××××××××.eu> wrote:
4 > > On 29/03/2013 12:34, Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn wrote:
5 > >> Diego Elio Pettenò schrieb:
6 > >>> > If my desktop only has one Ethernet interface, no matter how many
7 > kernel
8 > >>> > changes happen, it'll always be eth0.
9 > >> That was not true with the old persistent naming. One example which we
10 > >> encountered in #gentoo IRC was the split between e1000 and e1000e
11 > drivers
12 > >> which caused interfaces to change names.
13 > >
14 > > Okay let me re-qualify the statement:
15 > >
16 > > "If my desktop only has one Ethernet interface, and I don't mess up with
17 > > it in userspace at all, no matter how many kernel changes happen, it'll
18 > > always be eth0".
19 > >
20 > > Yes, the previous persistent rules for udev would have messed that one
21 > > up when e1000e got split, or if you switched between the
22 > > Broadcom-provided driver to the kernel one or vice-versa. The deathforce
23 > > drivers come in mind as well.
24 >
25 > IMHO this is really relevant. It is annoying seeing how many people go
26 > "oh you *must not* use the old scheme, because it won't work".
27 >
28 > The new naming scheme does *not* prevent you from using eth0, users
29 > should really just be told they can *disable* udev rules (and told how
30 > to do it) if they are happy with the kernel name of their sole network
31 > card, instead of being told that they *must* upgrade to the new rules.
32 >
33 > The messages so far seem to imply that you can't have eth0. You *can*,
34 > but udev won't be able to do anything if the device appears as
35 > something else and there's already another eth0. If you don't already
36 > have eth0, the udev rules *will* work, even if your card is named in
37 > the eth namespace.
38 >
39 > The *only* thing that breaks is renaming network devices to names that
40 > are already in use inside the kernel namespaces.
43 > --
44 > Nuno Silva (aka njsg)
45 > http://njsg.sdf-eu.org/
49 I sort of agree here. The news item is rather scary for people maintaining
50 remote boxes. Couldn't we just
51 preserve the old behavior with an opt-in for people who want to use this
52 new feature? Or am I reading the message wrong?
53 In my mind, the message says "either remove 70-* and setup 80-*" or your
54 system will end up broken.
57 Regards,
58 Markos Chandras - Gentoo Linux Developer
59 http://dev.gentoo.org/~hwoarang