From: Scott Shawcroft <tannewt@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Bugday Improvements
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 02:42:48
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 You guys may have noticed or heard about additions to the staff by
5 kloeri. I am one of the new devs. GurliGebis has also joined
6 gentoo. Our task is to take bugdays off of kloeri's hands. With
7 kloeri's guidance we're brainstorming ways to increase the
8 effectiveness of bugdays. Below are some of the ideas we've been
9 contemplating. Please reply with comments, questions and
10 suggestions. Take note that all of the changes are to the bugday
11 page. No changes will be made to Bugzilla.
12
13 Goals
14 1. Build the Gentoo community both over the internet and in real life.
15 2. Increase user/developer coordination. i.e. More users fixing bugs.
16
17 Ideas
18 - - Have pre-bugday and post-bugday podcasts designed to present
19 information in an alternate form.
20 The pre-bugday podcast would include how-tos/tips in addition to a
21 run down of the top bugs.
22 The post-bugday podcast would include a debrief and highlight the
23 most effective bugday individuals and teams.
24 - - User logins using usernames and passwords from bugzilla.
25 - - In accordance with the above, user bug additions and voting on bugs
26 may also be supported.
27 Note: no changes to bugzilla so lets not restart that discussion.
28 - - Classification of bugs by difficulty and language skills (if any)
29 required.
30 - - Reference links to helpful articles on languages relating to a bug.
31 - - Points awarded to users for solving bugs. These points are the also
32 the priority votes.
33 - - Association with bug hunting groups/teams which either form over the
34 internet or in real life.
35 - - Event planner for real life bugday sessions.
36 - - IRC bot interface to new website.
37 - - New logo.
38
39 Upcoming events (Will be the timeline.)
40 August 6, 2005 - Gentoo Bugday
41 September 3, 2005 - Gentoo Bugday
42 October 1, 2005 - Gentoo Bugday
43 November 5, 2005 - Gentoo Bugday
44 December 3, 2005 - Gentoo Bugday
45
46 In addition to feedback on these ideas, I'd like to get some feedback
47 on ways to improve bugdays for developers.
48 Do you as a dev participate regularly? Why or why not?
49 What could we do to improve the ease of bugdays?
50 What bottlenecks exist in closing bugs?
51
52 References
53 http://devwiki.gentoo.org/tiki-index.php?page=GentooBugDay
54 http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-352554-highlight-.html
55 http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-360582-highlight-.html
56 http://bugday.gentoo.org
57
58 Thats enough for now. Thanks for your time.
59 ~Scott Shawcroft (tannewt)
70 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list